Remote consultation by Zoom are available
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Blog
  4.  » Are power strips a fire hazard?

Are power strips a fire hazard?

On behalf of Jacqueline A. Scott & Associates posted in medical malpractice on Tuesday, December 19, 2017.

In today’s high tech world, you probably have more things to plug in than places to plug them in. In a case like this, you probably use a power strip. However, what you may not realize is that many fires occur in Louisiana due to improperly used power strips. Knowing how to use them can help you to stay safe and keep your home and family safe.

You should always follow the instructions that come with the strip. According to Yale University, you should never try to tape, staple or otherwise secure a power strip except as noted in the instructions. You also need to buy only power strips that have an internal circuit breaker. This helps protect against overloading, which can easily lead to a fire.

Always plug a strip directly into the wall and not into another strip or an extension cord. You may have heard this called piggy backing or daisy chaining, and it is very dangerous. Also, never cover a strip with carpet or rugs. It should never be put into an area where it could get wet or where moisture is excessive.

You need to unplug your power strips when they are not being used. If it ever feels hot to the touch, unplug it and discontinue using it. If it is worn in any way, replace it. Finally, never use adapters with strips. They must have all three prongs plugged in. This information is intended to educate. It is not to be taken as legal advice.

Se Habla Español.